My MIL recently made a delicious discovery at CostCo – Kosher Goat Cheese. Yum! I love the unique flavor of goat cheese but have never cooked with it because I assumed I’d never find a Kosher brand in the Dallas area. Lucky for me, the inlaws made a trip to Costco just this week and brought me home two … really large … packages of said cheese. Now, what to do with all of this cheese?
I found a few recipes I wanted to try and since I’m a lover of any food that includes the word Queso, I decided to start with the Chipotle Mushroom and Goat Cheese Queso I found on the Whole Foods web site.
- 2 teaspoons expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used white, Baby Bella and Shiitake mushrooms)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 1 3/4 cups) (I used Mozzerella since I couldn’t find Kosher Monterey Jack)
- 1 1/2 cup sliced baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup diced red onion (I nixed the onion since my hubbie isn’t a fan)
- 2 chipotles in adobo (from a can), seeded and minced (I only used about half of a Chipotle since I wanted my 6 year old to try the dip and there’s no way she is eating anything spicy).
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have released their liquid and are dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Spread mushrooms over the bottom of a small ovenproof casserole or gratin dish. In a large bowl, combine goat cheese, Jack cheese, spinach, onion and chipotles and toss until combined. Spread cheese mixture evenly over mushrooms and bake until bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.